Publication1 18-70 1187
Hosier's House
3 Darker Street

Architect unknown
c1850
Listed 1991


16-70 2818a
Leicestershire Guild of the Disabled
Colton Street

AE Sawday, or Ralph Bedingfield
1909
Listed 1992


Architect AE Sawday, or Ralph Bedingfield. One of the earliest buildings in England specially adapted to suit the needs of disabled people.
18-70 1166
Luke Turner Elastic Webbing Factory
Henshaw Street

Stott & Sons, Oldham
1893
Listed 1993


This building is listed as an extremely early example of an exposed iron frame building. 
16-70 2135
Victoria Coffee House
Granby Street

Edward Burgess
1888
Listed 1993


Built in 1888 for the Leicester Coffee and Cocoa House Company. One of several Coffee Houses by Burgess in Leicester, intended to provide an attractive alternative to the many Victorian public houses. Nourishing affordable refreshments were available to the working man, without being obliged to drink alcohol.
16-70 2168a
High Cross Coffee House
High Street – High Cross Street

Edward Burgess
1888
Listed 1993


Built 1888 for the Leicester Coffee and Cocoa House Company. One of several Coffee Houses by Burgess intended to provide an attractive alternative to the many Victorian public houses. Nourishing affordable refreshments were available to the working man, without being obliged to drink alcohol.
16-70 1369
Police Station
Asfordby Street

Arthur Wakerley
1899
Listed 1993


A police and fire station with two attached houses and a lamp room. 1899. Designed by Arthur Wakerley as part of his North Evington development.
18-70 1229
Nurses Home
Aylestone Road

Goddard & Paget
1878-80
Listed 1995


16-70 2165
Coronation Buildings
High Street

Arthur Wakerley
1904
Listed 1996


Formerly known as the Singer Building, it was designed in 1904 by Arthur Wakerley as the Midland headquarters and showroom of the Singer Sewing Machine Company.
Steel-framed building, with elaborate facade incorporating faience cartouches representing the countries of the British Empire.
17-70 1442
£299 Council Houses
Dunster Street

Arthur Wakerley
1922
Listed 1996


Text Built 1922 to a design by Arthur Wakerley. The houses were designed to help overcome the housing shortage after the First World War, and could be built for £299 each. Groups of these houses were built in several parts of the city, and the design was made available to other towns. A number of groups like this that survive unaltered were listed in 1996
18-70 1243
Former Co-op Bank
Hotel Street

Paul Waterhouse
1915
Listed 1997


Built as Prudential Assurance Office. The frontage on Greyfriars is in a baroque style, and carries the Prudential motto: Fortis Qui Prudens. Paul Waterhouse was the son of Alfred Waterhouse, who had been architect to Prudential Assurance.
14-40 0060
Towers Hospital
Victoria Road East – Gypsy Lane

EL Stephens
1867-69
Listed 1997


17-70 1507
Abbey Park Lodge
Abbey Park Road

James Tait
1882
Listed 1997


One of three lodges designed by James Tait in 1882
17-70 1508
Abbey Park Lodge
Abbey Park Road

James Tait
1882
Listed 1997


One of three lodges designed by James Tait in 1882
18-70 1249
Abbey Park Lodge
Abbey Park Road

James Tait
1882
Listed 1997


One of three lodges designed by James Tait in 1882
18-70 1217a
122-128 London Road
2-4 Highfield Street

Arthur Wakerley
1888
Listed 1997


A lively group of shops, with residential accommodation above, designed as a single development.
400 7809
Odeon Cinema – now Athena
Queen Street – Rutland Street

Robert Bullivant of Harry Weedon’s Office
1936-38
Listed 1997


Terracotta decoration by Hathernware
15-70 2457
Ratcliffe Lodge
London Road – Ratcliffe Road

Joseph Goddard
1897
Listed 1998


Interior has original baluster staircase, contemporary doors and some fireplaces.
17-70 1472
Leicestershire Club
Welford Place

Joseph Goddard
1875-77
Listed 1999


Designed by 1875-77 as a businessman’s club
18-70 1115a
Slater Street School


Possibly by RJ & J Goodacre
1874
Listed 1999


Built for the Leicester School Board. Interior retains most of its original features and plan form, including doors, internal glazed partitions and staircases. Upper floor classrooms have exposed roofs with ornate wooden trusses. The school was built to accommodate 378 boys, 310 girls and 243 infants. It is the oldest board school in Leicester surviving in a historic condition.
18-70 1149a
Charnwood Street Board School

Edward Burgess
1876-77
Listed 1999


This was Burgess's first school for the Leicester School Board
18-70 1206
Hazel Street Board School

Edward Burgess?
1888, 1902
Listed 1999
18-70 1157
Mantle Road Board School

Edward Burgess
1898
Listed 1999


Another of Burgess's designs for the Leicester School Board
17-70 0109a
Narborough Road Board School


Edward Burgess
1902
Listed 1999


Designed by Edward Burgess in 1902. The last and largest of the schools in the city designed by Burgess.
16-70 2114
Richard Harris & Son
35 King Street – Marlborough Street

William Flint
c1845
Listed 2000


Hosiery warehouse, built for Richard Harris & Sons to designs by William Flint. Subsequently extended by other architects including Shenton & Baker It was used as a warehouse by Pool, Lorrimer & Tabberer, c.1890-c.1970.
Now converted to residential accommodation
17-70 1481
Registry Office
Pocklingtons Walk

Redfern & Sawday
1882
Listed 2000


Originally built as Offices for the Poor Law Commissioners
16-70 2829
Exchange Buildings
Rutland Street

Stockdale Harrison
1888
Listed 2000


Designed as shops and offices on a narrow pointed site between Halford Street and Rutland Street.
Subsequent conversion has included the construction of a roof extension to provide an extra storey, whilst still maintaining the essential character of this attractive building.
15-70 2083a
YMCA
Granby Street

Draper and Walters
1898
Listed 2001


This building, dating from 1898, was designed by London architects Draper and Walters, in collaboration with AE Sawday in Leicester.
16-70 2162
Butler’s Chemists
High Street – Carts Lane

AE Sawday
1903
Listed 2001


Shop premises for TE Butler, Son and Co., chemists. A steel framed building, with large tile panels depicting a medieval alchemist with pestle and mortar and the inscription 'chemists by examination', and a sea scene with a full-rigged sailing vessel inscribed 'for headache drink Sea Breeze'.The original goods entrance survives on Carts Lane.
18-70 1194
War Memorial
Bridge Road


George Mawbey
1920
Listed 2001

Memorial to old boys of Bridge Road School (now demolished) who perished in First World War.
Mawbey was himself an old boy of the school

18-70 1084a
Sapcote Methodist Church


Brookes of Broughton Astley
1902-05
Listed 2002


Interior has galleries with pews on three sides supported on cast-iron columns, and the gallery with pews on the fourth side behind the pulpit has organ to rear. Massive hammerbeam roof with arched braces. The local congregation gave much help in the building. The stone was made available free by the local Sapcote quarry to the quarrymen members if they worked after their normal day's work and local settmakers and kerb dressers worked the dressed stone. Farmers helped in the transport.
18-70 1129a
St Paul's Church
Kirby Road

FW Ordish and JC Traylen

1870-71
Listed 2002


18-70 1128
St Paul's Church
Kirby Road

FW Ordish and JC Traylen

1870-71
Listed 2002


18-70 1200
Lodge
Spinney Hill Park


Stockdale Harrison
c1886
Listed 2002

A finely detailed and little-altered lodge, the quality of the design reflecting Leicester's pride in the creation of this park
18-70 1237a
Constitutional Club
Pocklingtons Walk - Millstone Lane

Frank Seale
1893
Listed 2002


17-70 0117a
Church of the Martyrs – Vicarage
Westcotes Drive

Everard and Pick
1902-04
Listed 2003


18-70 1109
Farben Works
Slater Street

Harding & Topott
1914
Listed 2003


Part of a former worsted spinning and dyeing complex for W.P.Skevington. Red brick and glazed brick with reinforced concrete frame. Cast concrete decoration. Added in 1914 as an extension to the Frisby Jarvis Building.
15-70 2482
Swallowcroft and
34-38 Ratcliffe Road

Amos Hall
1893
Listed 2003


Range of three attached houses. An interesting example of a range of large late Victorian houses well designed in the Domestic free-style by a local architect.
16-70 1924a
Wimbledon House
Southampton Street

William Jackson
1871
Listed 2004


Built as a clothing warehouse for Messrs Hart and Levy, tailors and wholesale clothiers. Now successfully converted to residential accommodation.
18-70 1168
Richard Roberts Factory
Junior Street, Burgess Street

G. Lawton Brown and Percy C. Jones

1915
Listed 2004


Originally Toone and Kelsey Ltd, Hosiery. Now converted to residential accommodation as "Chimney Apartments"
18-70 1131
Richard Roberts Factory
Junior Street, Burgess Street

G. Lawton Brown and Percy C. Jones

1915
Listed 2004


Unusually, the attractive chimney that once served the boiler-house and power supply has not been demolished. Now converted to residential accommodation as "Chimney Apartments"
17-70 1487
Conway Buildings
Greyfriars

Stockdale Harrison
1878
Listed 2005


Built as offices and warehouse for W W Clarkson & Co, brick and tile merchants.
18-70 1225a
Freemen's Cottages
Welford Road

Redfern & Sawday, 1856 (RHS)

Stockdale Harrison, 1885 (LHS)


Listed 2005


18-70 1078a
Atkins Brothers
Lower Bond Street, Hinckley

Goddard & Paget
1875-78
Listed 2006


A large hosiery factory built in two phases: 1875-1878, by Goddard and Paget, 1910 extension by Goddard and Company to the same design. Now converted to mixed educational, office and community use with art gallery.
17-70 0111a
Robert Hall Memorial Church
Narborough Road

Walter Brand
1900
Listed 2006


16-70 2124
Barrow Brothers
Belvoir Street – Albion Street

James Tait
1886-87
Listed 2007


Designed as warehousing with shops on the ground floor. Fine example of ornamental terracotta used in conjunction with red brick.
16-70 2835
J Brown Hosiery Factory
Rutland Street

Architect unknown
1850-60
Listed 2007


This rather plain building, dating from the period 1850-1860, marks the transition from home-working to factory-working in the hosiery industry. It is the earliest known example of a hosiery factory, where production was concentrated under one roof.
it has subsequently been converted to studio workshops as “Makers’ Yard”
16-70 2156b
East Gates Coffee House
East Gates

Edward Burgess
1885
Listed 2011


Built for the Leicester Coffee and Cocoa House Company. One of several Coffee Houses by Burgess in Leicester, the East Gates was a popular venue, providing an attractive alternative to the many Victorian public houses. Nourishing affordable refreshments were available to the working man, without being obliged to drink alcohol.
16-70 2847
Boot & Shoe Operatives Union Hall
St James Street

Harrison & Hattrell of Leicester
1902
Listed 2015


Listed for the contribution it makes to the understanding of the history of the Trade Union movement, both locally and nationally, and as a symbol of Leicester’s significance to the national boot and shoe industry and its strong radical working class traditions.
16-70 0095a
Gutteridge & Co
11-13 Wellington Street

Architect unknown
c1860
Listed 2016


Built as Boot and Shoe factory
17-70 0017
36 Market Street
(Fenwick’s)

Isaac Barradale
1880
Listed 2017


Built 1880 for Joseph Johnson this was Johnson’s original shop, but they soon extended to take in neighbouring buildings until, when they were taken over by Fenwick’s of Newcastle in 1962 they occupied the whole block.
Merge-01
Gresham Buildings (Fenwick’s)
Market Street – Belvoir Street

Isaac Barradale
1883
Listed 2017


Built for Richard Allen, but incorporated with 36 Market Street by 1900. Joseph Johnsons continued to expand until they occupied the whole block.